Tuesday 15 July 2008

fun question

I'm getting some interesting replies from my latest Stitchin fingers fun question so I thought I would throw it open on here as well.

Now, if you had the chance to visit any country of your choice to study/learn their embroidery/textile techniques, Where would you go and why? I suspect I know which country will come out top but I will try and put them in to some sort of league table.

If you have any suggestions, please add them.

Also if you are visiting my blog and fancy saying hello, please do so- always good to meet new people.

6 comments:

Annica said...

Hi Sue,
There are interesting things and people with great skills all over the world to learn from isn't there? Like most people I would love to go to India and Japan. Guatemala would be wonderful too.
The most amazing textiles I have ever seen is the pre-colombian textiles from Paracas(Peru). Is it OK if I travel in time? :-)

Anonymous said...

China..

I went to a wonderful talk at the weekend by Ruth Smith, a lady who does just that. she studies the use of embroidery in small villages in South West china.

Anonymous said...

As you know I commented on SF - I want to visit the UK! You ask the best questions.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Well... other than here in Japan, it would have to be Vietnam. I would love to learn the really traditional indigo dyeing techniques. It would be great if they could teach me how to stitch (my hand stitching is terrible) too.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely any excuse to go to Wales. Any textile event, workshop,exhibition,artist. Hey, I'll even study the weave on people's overcoats. Just get me there.I am an Australian in love the place.

Guzzisue said...

thanks everyone for playing