Sunday 27 September 2009

Destination revealed

Time to reveal that the three photographs were taken at our first holiday stopover which was Orkney, Yes Chris you got it right. In fact many of you came very close as Orcadians consider themselves closer connected to Norway than the UK. Thank you for taking the time to comment.
We stopped in a lovely self catering Victorian terrace house in Kirkwall and spent our time exploring the islands. I know Biker Ted will be writing the trip up in detail on his blog at some point so I will just post some photos if that is ok.

Dunnet Head

Dunnet Head Lighthouse, Scotland

holiday 2009 285

Leaving Scotland behind

holiday 2009 406

Standing Stones of Stenness

Orkney 2009

The Ring o' Brodgar

Orkney 2009

Orkney 2009

The last three photos were taken within 20 minutes of each over, as you can see the weather was changeable to say the least! At one point during our stay the wind reached over 80 mph forcing the cancellation of the ferry services

Lise, I did tell Ted off for not wearing his scarf ( See first photo) he did wear it later and thanks you very much.

I hope to take inspirations from my photos over the winter and will keep you posted on my progress. Also, I bought back a couple of small items from one of the other Islands that we visited and will be giving them away at the end of my holiday reports so anyone who has commented so far plus anyone who comments over the next week or so will go in the draw.

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

12 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

Beautiful. I love the textures, & the stark beauty.

Sally H said...

Stunning pictures, particularly the dramatic skies! Looking forward to seeing what you create. If you fancy another creative evening later in the year I have some stamps featuring standing stones and celtic knots x

Frances Arnold said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday!!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Your photographs are very beautiful. I love the stones! There is also a very special light about your photographs. I think it is a place I would like to see

Hope you had a good weekend :o)

Carolyn

Papoosue said...

How lovely. I was there myself about 19 years ago and it was beautiful - I remember the Ring of Brodgar well (in horizontal rain). Sounds like you had a wonderful time. :-)

Woolly Bits said...

I never made it to the orkneys, but it looks inviting to me (I guess I am not the hot weather beach type:) - the one photo nearly looks like being taken on the easter islands:))

Gina said...

Beautiful photos

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip! I love standing stones and am amazed at how different all of them are. The Orkneys are on the wish list for my family to visit someday.

April said...

Oh, how lovely! If we're ever able to come over and see those beautiful sights....I'll get a "must" see list from you! Wonderful pictures. Can't wait to catch the story on Biker Teds. lol

Wanda said...

awesome. I haven't spent that much time in this part of the world. I now have it on my "places to go" list! Thanks for the inspirational pictures!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie said...

Just catching up Sue! Your photos capture the atmosphere of the places and I would love to see all those stones. I'm sure they will inspire you over the winter.