Monday 2 May 2011

Steam and sheep!!

As hubby drove off on his bike yesterday I decided to have a day out by myself, packed a picnic, knitting and drop spindle and headed for the bus. Over the bank holiday weekend Wollaton Park near Nottingham has been hosting a country and steam show with pleanty of steam engines, vintage cars and motorbikes. Just the place for a sunny afternoon picnic.
Spent most of my time breathing in the scent of the steam as a lot of my childhood was spent visiting preserved steam railways with my Dad and I just love the smell of hot steam and oil.

steam engines

steam engines

 steam engines

I took the opportunity to compare notes with some bikers, one of them mentioned that his oldest bike was 1905 so had no brakes, gears etc which made it a little difficult to ride!

vintage bikes

After the steam engines had paraded round the arena ( ever seen a really big engine wheel spin?) some shire horses took their place.

shire horse

Inspite of all the attractions, the one I really enjoyed was the sheep show complete with dancing sheep.

Sheep Show

Sheep Show

Sheep Show

I did offer to take the Blue Face Leicester home with me or even just the fleece!!!

Hope you all had good weekend.

1 comment:

Squire Neil said...

There's nothing like the smell of Steam coal and hot oil. Always takes me back to steam fiars visited as a kid, and the RH&D railway.