Monday 1 July 2013

TDF......It's that time of year again........

So the wheels of the bikes are turning around France as the Tour de France enters its 3rd day, which means that spinners around the world are following and taking part in their own challenge ,the Tour de Fleece. This is really a personal challenge, learn a new technique, spin everyday, learn to use a drop spindle etc. The spinners teams are based on Ravelry and the entrants post their progress daily. I use this as a chance to spin a little each day, work on my techniques and use up some of the fleece that I have stashed away.
The big event started on Saturday, most spinners watch the racing as they spin but not me, no TV in the household so I just spin where ever I am. So the start of the race saw me at East Bridgford show, a Small village show outside Nottingham with my friend Nina and her family and her sheep.



East Bridgford show 2013


East Bridgford show 2013
Yep, that's my place, surrounded by fleece, yarn and sheep!! BBC TV had shown a programme about shepherding in Peru the previous night which became the main topic of conversation for the day. Apart from the lady who told her grandchildren that I was knitting ! most people sort of knew what I was doing but said that they had never seen anyone do it in real life.

We occasional breaks to wander round and we popped into the produce tent where Nina's husband had won first prize for his eggs.


East Bridgford show 2013



East Bridgford show 2013


East Bridgford show 2013

The last photo is from the categories for floating flower heads in water? The flowers were beautiful and many of the displays very original.

East Bridgford show 2013

AS it was also Armed Forces Day we were lucky enough to see a selection of planes fly past. I missed the large formation on its way back from flying over the celebrations in Nottingham, wasn't expecting to see It so didn't have the camera handy, but I did catch a couple of others later.

East Bridgford show 2013


East Bridgford show 2013


So for anyone following the TDF for spinners....day one spinning

East Bridgford show 2013
Romney fleece on the wheel :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Loved the pics. Joining in with Tour de Fleece, but not until tomorrow I have been too busy. First day of le Tour was a mess! Falling over barriers, bus getting stuck...crazy.
--elizaduckie

Araignee said...

That's much better than spinning in front of the TV!