Tuesday 30 June 2015

Bobbin lace

Well firstly the good news, I found the charger for my small camera and discovered that the batteries still have some charge in the big camera.

not so good...I have never made any sort of lace with just 6 pairs of bobbins and working from what looks like a hand drawn pricking did not prove ideal for me. 

here are the results, judge for yourself.............scale, about 5mm across

 There again, the book has sat on the shelf for about 20 years and this is the first piece I have made from it. Maybe the next book I pick I will open at random? or maybe pattern 1 again...we shall see !
 anyway, here is a slightly better photo of the bobbins, in my mind these are my no 3 set. My No 1 set are all dark many with silver wire or decoration and they are often used with my no 2 set which are all nice manly plain woods. No 3 set are painted as you can see and the rest are all old bobbins from various places. I also have a number of honiton bobbins which haven't been used for many years.
thanks for looking, I'm off to choose the next book!!

4 comments:

Araignee said...

That's just amazing. I can't imagine how much work that was to do. Your bobbins are beautiful. I've seen some before at the Maryland Sheep and Wool fest but never knew what they were. I'll know now.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Collecting bobbins is almost as much fun as collecting tatting shuttles!

Guzzisue said...

hi, at least with bobbins you always have the excuse that you need so many in case you do a big project :-) having said that I like them because of the wood, especially old ones that have been used a lot.
Thanks for you comments xx

Maggi said...

Looks good to me. The bobbins are works of art in themselves, so beautiful.