Wednesday 1 July 2020

Tour de Fleece day 5

Hi

Day five already ! Firstly my listening list.

Frost at Christmas  by RD Wingfield abandoned as I realized after about sixty minutes that I had listened to this one before .

Innocent Grave by Peter Robinson

Scotland Outdoors podcast, BBC Radio Scotland

Today I have been spinning the Zwartbles fleece, about 60 gm per bobbin which I will ply tomorrow to see what I think of it. I have sampled it before but as a thicker yarn than I really want.




This is the previous sample



This means my job tonight and tomorrow whilst the plumber is here will be to prep more of this fleece.


For several years now I have concentrated on spinning British fleece and I rarely buy any commercially prepared fibre. This braid has been hanging around for may be 6 years or so, its merino and Baby camel 50/50 and dyed by Feltstudio UK. I thought it was about time that I played with it, so far 1gm spun, long way to go :-)

That's about it for today, spin safe  xx

2 comments:

Araignee said...

Great progress! Your dedication to British fleeces has been very informative. I wish we had the same variety available here.

Guzzisue said...

I like the idea of local fleece but unfortunately a lot of British fleece ( Bred for meat ) is rather coarse, carpet type but amongst it all there are a few breeds that are really nice and sometimes you find a fleece that just surprises you :-) Each has its place somewhere. There are a few places that breed for fleece but I like to try anything thats around.