Tuesday 27 July 2021

A day at the seaside and a few goodies.

 On Saturday we grabbed our waterproofs, jumped in the car and headed off to the coast. Our destination was Bridlington on the east coast, we have never been there before so decided that it needed investigation.

The plan is to take a couple of trips as there is Bridlington the seaside holiday place and Bridlington old town which is actually inland and the original town before the coastal part developed.

This time we had a walk round the coastal part, the beach and the harbour. Typically it was a cool breezy day with pretty empty beaches and our kites were back in the van in Nottingham.

I like a traditional seaside places, not too many arcades, alleyways to wander round and a bit of a funfair. Sandy beaches are a big plus and maybe some cliffs but definitely need some age to the town.




We started our day at the Gansey girl overlooking the harbour.


Created by artist Stephen Carvill she sits on the Harbour wall waiting for the boats. A celebration of the local tradition of knitting Ganseys with each village and fishing family having their own variations of pattern.

There is still a fleet of fishing boats operating out of the harbour, fishing mainly for lobsters.


and the occasional pirate ship

   

Miles of sandy beach, what more do you want !


We have penciled in another visit in a few weeks and also noted that they have a classic vehicle event in June  so the dates are in the diary.

These are all the photos that I took as I was too busy looking around but I'm sure that there will be more soon. 

Inevitably, as with many towns, there were a number of charity (thrift) shops to look around but also a large number of independent shops including an excellent looking butcher and bakery both with substantial queues outside. The bakery was particularly recommended to us by locals standing in the queue.

I may have made a couple of purchases.




Also, whilst surfing Ebay the night before, I had spotted a lace bobbin painted with a bobbin lady from the Lace Hall in Nottingham. The lace Hall has long been a pub but back in the late eighties/early nineties I used demonstrate lace making there occasionally. I just had to bid for the bobbin !!



It cost me £1 plus postage !! bargain.


Anyway, today I have been sorting out the van contents and so far I have nearly a crate full of bits that aren't going back in and I'm sorting my washed fleece with a view to prepping some holiday spinning.


1 comment:

Araignee said...

What a beautiful place! The Gansey Girl is amazing. I would love to pull up a chair and sit along side her and knit the day away. There is a statue like that of a girl in New Orleans that sits by a fountain looking out at the French Market that I always enjoyed sitting next to. She's not knitting but I find her presence very calming amid the hustle and bustle of that wonderful old city.