Monday 18 December 2023

Long overdue crafty update

 I've just had a quick look back over my previous posts and realised that I haven't updated the craft side of this blog since I got back from Cornwall.

I have been busy but haven't recorded all of it. One of my different tasks was to design and make up a cross stitch kit for a friend based on her family tartan. I also stitched up a version of it to check for any errors. I gave her the stitched version just in case hers wasn't finished on time for Hogmanay. This is the project that I didn't take photos of ( I simply forgot)

I have been at my wheel from time to time, sometimes at home and sometimes in public. The staff at Starbucks obviously weren't too sure what spinning was when they said it was ok for my to sit in the corner. As when I looked up after settling into my rhythm I found all three of them staring back at me. I asked if they had any questions and I was bombarded with them !


Over the last couple of months I have been spinning, mainly Texel cross and the odd skein of  black Ryeland



knitting the usual selection of hats, mitts and headbands




spun and knitted a shawlette using some amazing shetland fleece from Ullapool. This needs a good wash and block, it also reminded me how bored I get when knitting a shawl hence its smaller size.


Last time I was in my local cafe, the owner threw a ball of yarn at me and asked if I could knit something for a fund raiser. It looks and feels like wool, a very softly spun commercial single that drifts apart if you don't keep an eye on it ( I suspect that I tend to untwist a bit as I knit) I knocked up a pair of mitts ( had to rewrite my pattern due to the thickness of the yarn) using 5mm needles which felt huge as I'm also working on a hat on 3mms.

Currently in progress I have a bag of prepped fleece and 3 bobbins holding around 50 gm each ( one looks bigger as there is another spin under it.



At this point my knitting and spinning may slow down as I've noticed that I'm tending to find my hands aching so I'm trying to pace myself a bit more.

I've been stitching though, our guild ask us to wear a name badge so I've designed and stitched one.


Looking ahead to next year, I may be stitching more and as I'm well aware that I rarely keep up with annual stitch alongs,  I've decided to do a sampler band and pick out small parts of the many designs I have in both cross stitch and other techniques with no time frame as such. This was I can add material as required and as my restriction in 79 stitches wide in cross stitch I shouldn't get too bored, It will also give me chance to include any of my own designs along with any historical ones that I come across when using the Internet Archive which has needlework books dating back to around the 1500's


Finally. my biggest ongoing challenge will be to reorganise the chaotic mess that is my work room !!!!





There is a rag rug on the floor in the last photo which hasn't seen the light of day for sometime,,,,, watch this space.


speak soon as usual xx




2 comments:

Araignee said...

Spinning in Starbucks made me laugh! I can imagine how confused they might be. The Mister's therapist were always confused by the three wheels I have in the living room but I admit I love showing them off and letting them pet my handspun.
Your knitting projects are lovely. I wish I was as prolific as you, using up handspun. Mine just piles up.

Gillian said...

Lovely work as always Sue. Hope you find time for our Coffee and Catchup in the new year !!!