Tuesday, 28 July 2026

From Field to Fashion, Derby Museum of Making

 


I've had it in mind for a while to hop on a train to Derby and visit the Museum of Making which features many, many different items that were made locally from motorbikes to ceramics and the fact that this exhibition was on made it a possibility. Honestly, anything with a sheep in the picture will make me glance twice.

Fortunately the museum is a pleasant walk from the train station with a footpath/cyclepath hugging the River Derwent and even at my slow pace only took twenty minutes or so.


The museum is housed in an old silk mill sat by the side of the river and easy to spot. The mural of Falcons by the entrance was commissioned by Derbyshire Wildlife Trust and design and painted by Sarah Yates in 2022


The exhibition is on the third floor with its own shop showcasing local fibre crafts, craft kits, handspun yarn etc.


The exhibits aim to show different uses for wool ranging from clothing to seating along with reusing and recycling. 


I particularly liked the signage at the beginning giving details of the characteristics of different breed and the explanation of words that I use regularly but probably confound many people. There were also several sacks of raw fleece, labelled with the breed, that you could dive you hands into ( and the all important notice also there to wash hands ) along with examples of processed fleece so that you could feel the difference between washed, carded and and combed fibres.




I could happily taken this grey mule fleece home with me, it would soon be on the wheel !



As usual, put accessible fleece near almost anyone and they will instinctively rub it on their cheek to check the softness and a surreptitious glance across the room a couple of times confirmed that this is still the case.


A rainbow of hand dyed yarns by Carrie Warr on Bleatingbecka Derbyshire Gritstone yarn. This is one breed that I have yet to spin, it's on the list in case I spot a fleece being sold.

From the traditional use of fleece to the more obscure, I hadn't envisaged furniture being on display but if you mix fleece and bio resin then this is what happens.




Black and white welsh mountain fleece , chair by Solid Wool and Roger Oates Design.

 
The art of Felting wool was represented by several pieces by Valerie Wartelle which reminded me of a cross between Turner and Monet.

Amongst other exhibits I spotted this community project



and these amazing lightshades by Janie knitted textiles.


All in all , worth a visit and the exhibition is on until 4 October and a quick look at the website shows a number of workshops also relating to fibre and thread. In fact there is one in October on Sashiko embroidery which is tempting me.
The main museum also holds examples of textiles etc so look out for another post from myself soon and I nearly forgot, there is a cafe so I had a coffee and ciabatta, both very good !!

No comments: