Wednesday 3 November 2021

cold fingers

 I'm sorry that this post is a little late but we have been busy moving things around so the gas men can install a new boiler which involves rerouting pipes etc and trying to destash as we go. 

So far I've reduced the contents of the airing cupboard by more than 50 percent and managed to take a car load of stuff to the tip/recycling centre. Three boxes are sat in the porch ready to go to the charity shop and I will have more to send in the next few weeks.

However, I did get to take a day out just over a week ago to visit the newly reopened Ruddington Frame knitters museum. They have acquired another building which now accommodates the new cafe and shop which also links access to the chapel exhibition space,




The main reason for visiting was to look at the current knitting exhibition and check out the refurbishment of the workers cottages.


Many of Jen's pieces are worked with metal wire which makes them 3 dimensional.





Other parts of the exhibition included knitted lives, where people had been given the opportunity to knit a square ( or not) to put on show,








Typically I forgot to take a photo of the empty card and the reason !!

A stroll round the rest of the museum reminded me of the terrible working conditions that existed, the knitting frames as so close together that you sometimes wonder how people actually got to them to work on them.




You also have the opportunity to have a go on a sock machine and explore some of the museums collections.




The workers cottages have been renovated to show the living standards of the workers and the managers office.




I took the opportunity to sign up as a friend of the museum so I can visit again and receive updates on the progress,

That's about it for now, the workmen have got all the doors open and it feels like about 5 degrees in here so I'm off to get a cup of coffee to warm my hands up xx


1 comment:

Araignee said...

What a fascinating place!
Having your house a shambles while work is being done is no fun. I think I've reached my limit here and there is probably at least a couple more months of my kitchen remodel nightmare ahead.