Sunday, 30 August 2026

All the string stuff ( embroidery etc in Warwick )

 As regular readers will know, I like to look for the textile and fibre related objects wherever we go and Warwick did not let me down. Firstly in the church, where I spent a few minutes knitting whilst waiting for Ian to come back down the tower, then I discovered the crypt.



This was the last place that I expected to find any knitting but they had stored the poppy decorations from 2018 in one of the alcoves.




                                                              Beautiful church as well.



                The next sighting of textiles was in a more predictable place, Warwick Castle.



We had revisited Warwick specifically to visit the castle and it is impressive. It was also one of the hottest days of the year so we have promised ourselves a return visit especially as some of the attractions,  jousting etc were not available as it was too hot for the animals. In the end we upgraded our tickets to annual passes which was cheaper than paying a second entry on a cooler day.

Inside the castle I found threads, this looks a little different to the body armour currently in my motorcycle jacket ! 

Underneath, this would be worn.





Embroidery was to be found as well as some tapestry, I suspect that on my next visit I may uncover more or at least be able to take photos without so many people hiding from the sun.



no fancy corner here, just continue with the pattern on the next side.


presumably the embroidery was executed in one long strip then added to the centre panel ?



Slightly different era but an applique bedspread/quilt


and a chair that might have seen too many backsides over the years




The building is very impressive and I will share more of that next time we visit. possibly later this year




I leave you with the archer, very good at the stories but hitting the target is always a challenge.



















No comments: