Sunday 20 July 2008

Take it Further Challenge (July)

You may remember the sign post sketch from earlier this month, pointing to embroiderer in one direction and artist in the other with the idea that this was the halfway mark.




I had intended to use this with illustrations of traditional embroidery at one side and free embroidery/textile art at the other. However another idea emerged based on the fact that you need a balance of traditional knowledge and more modern approaches so I found myself mixing them up.
These are samples of traditional needlework from my studies and I transferred them to T-shirt transfer, I also added small samples of mixed fibre backgrounds.

The end result is here


it has proved to be very difficult to photograph!



Not sure whether it really worked but it was an interesting experiment ( please excuse the motorcycle in the background, it's not one of ours!)

9 comments:

mzjohansen said...

I think it was a great challenge piece. I love the whole effect. Great job!

Ruth said...

cool idea!

Annica said...

Love your TIF piece! Great idea to make a video. I have to learn how to do that.

Julie said...

what a great idea Sue. It works really well. Well done!

hippopip said...

What a fantastic piece and I am most impressed with your stitching the acorn is perfect,such talent. Thanks for your comment, I havent quite got the hang of stitchin fingers but I will

Unknown said...

brilliant! I like the concept as well (and the sound effects!)

Magpie Sue said...

As shucks, now my TIF postcard effort just looks boring! Great job :- )

neki desu said...

oh yes they work! and it's a very nice approach. even like the cycle sound on the background as it adds punch :)

neki desu

Digitalgran said...

Like Fiona I love the concept and also the sound effects even though the bike's not yours. DH just watching Oulton Park on TV. We used to go there on the bike when we were younger :)