Monday 17 August 2020

A change of scenery

 Hi,

Our last trip away was 16 March so we thought that we had better start to make up for lost time. On Friday we packed the van with nearly everything we needed and set off. We found out that a couple of things were missing once we got there but that always happens after we have emptied the van for its annual checks.


 This is Ferry Meadows, we sometimes spend Christmas here as its not too far from home. I must admit that after staying at home for so long , I was a little apprehensive about going away but being in the van made it easier as we we can hideaway if we want to. The other good things about this site are that its a Caravan and Motorhome Club Site so the pitches are clearly laid out and distanced, the facilities are spotless and a lot of the time empty as majority of vans and caravans have their own. Also the site is next to Nene country Park and on a footpath/cycle path to Peterborough.

As Ian took his bike, I had some time to myself on Friday afternoon to sit in the sun and spin the first bobbin of the Jacob fleece. This time I had brought the E Spinner with me and sat outside with it on a table, cold drink to hand and a Radio 4 programme  about the seaside playing on the headphones.

When I eventually fancied a cup of tea, I discovered that we hadn't packed an essential item, the milk !! Ian rode in to the the rescue and dashed off the to campsite reception in his mask and bought some, phew

On Saturday I wandered out for a walk /hobble ( did I mention that I bruised my toes on Friday morning ). I was originally intending to walk back up towards the main road where I had spotted a coffee stall to get a caffeine fix but I didn't fancy it when I got there. I had noticed a sign at the railway saying that they were doing drinks so I headed back and was relieved to see only 4/5 people spread out amongst their tables. A hot chocolate and a few mins with the drop spindle followed.

The train arrived at 11.15 , I love steam, the smell and the sound. My Dad was a big steam engine enthusiast and passed the love of them on to me.




The rest of the weekend turned overcast and then very wet but it was really good to get out and about again even though I'm still very cautious about things.

On the craft front, I've spun the first skein of Jacob and I'm thinking that it would make a cozy cardi sometime if I ever pick up the courage to knit something big. Its a dk/aran weight so I may have a look at how much is needed.



I'm also working my way through this book again to brush up on my rather rusty lace skills


I find the written instruction and the diagrams very clear and I'm on pattern three at the moment.

Pattern one.

Pattern two.

Pattern three.



There are mistakes but I am learning from them and I could do with a softer gimp (thick) thread but I'm trying to use what I have and not buy any more at the moment.

Finally, a rare photo of me, Saturday morning waiting for the kettle to boil again.

Image may contain: one or more people, glasses, close-up and indoor

Have a great week xx

2 comments:

Araignee said...

It must be so nice to be able to get out into the world. I am so kicking myself for not pushing The Mister harder when I wanted an RV after we inherited some money from his mom's passing. Now you can't touch them in price since it's the only way to travel thanks to the mismanagement of Covid here.
Your lace is lovely. It always amazes.

Guzzisue said...

I'm so glad that we didn't wait for retirement before buying the van, we wouldn't be without it now. The prices have shot up here as well and everyone one either wants a van or a tent so the campsites are busy as well. I'm beginning to remember more on the lace, crazy when I think back to when I started and would make lace every day.