Monday 8 April 2024

Did I say that I wouldn't buy any more spinning wheels? ( Travels with Nano part one)

 Hi,

I thought that I had mentioned buying some more fleece? but checking back it looks like I totally forgot to mention any details about it.

I had a message from Ann in Scotland asking if I wanted any Shetland fleece. I purchased some from her last year and it was gorgeous, well skirted, very little dirt, spun like a dream so how could I saw no?

A long conversation followed with many photograph and I settled with a selection of 4 fleeces in different shades from white to very dark grey/black.


I have washed one of the grey fleece and part of the white one which turned out to have a grey streak down the back. The forecast is good for the weekend so I'll pop the rest of the white and the black one into soak overnight.



In the meantime I decided to treat myself to a new toy. I've been thinking about buying a Nano wheel for a year or so but couldn't really justify it with already having an Ashford 3 e-spinner but I finally succumbed, partly due to how fine the Shetland is and my plans for it and partly down to the size which means that even if I have my sticks with me, it will do in my backpack.



My biggest concern over the Nano had been the size of the bobbins however my first spin has proved that I can get 54gm on one when spinning for a light 4 ply weight. the only drawback seems to be that take up onto the bobbin gets problematical once the bobbin is about 3/4 full. This has resulted in some over spun lengths :-(

( its just the pic that makes the bobbin look wonky, Ashford bobbins hold 200gm, Nano just 50gm)

On the plus size, it has proved to be perfect for taking out and about so I'm thinking  that I might try spinning 25/30 gm to each bobbin then plying on the Ashford. The next thing to try will be plying from my Ashford lazy kate to save taking both sets away with me. If this approach works then I will order a few more bobbins before we hit the road again as the Nano is running very well on my phone charger and doesn't appear to be taking much power at all.



speak soon xx



1 comment:

Araignee said...

I have never used an e spinner but am intrigued by them. I suppose if you travel they are the perfect solution for saving space. Your new Shetlands are lovely so nice and clean. Those are some nice fat locks to play with.