Monday 15 April 2024

So this didn't work...mitten analysis

 I have a pattern for a mans Sanquhar glove which I wanted to make as mitts, I spun the yarn, found the needles and all was well until I got up near to  the fingers.



They were too big on me ( as expected) but when I tried them on Ian who has quite wide hands they still didn't fit right, far too baggy at the top of the palm.

I sat and scratched my head and decided to rip them back as far as the thumb hole. My usual mitten pattern sees me cast off 20 stitches for the thumb and pick up 4 on the next row. This pattern has me place 22 stitches on a holder and cast on 11 before continuing the next row

This means I have one extra pattern repeat in the body of the hand.

My plan now is to miss out the cast on stitches and add in just add in maybe two on the next row to keep the pattern correct. That way the stitch count for the cuff remains correct as that fits as expected.



or maybe  knit another with one less pattern repeat to see how that works, needle indicates how it would look. I'm looking to find something that works for me so I can slot in different patterns.



I know I could look at ravelry etc to find another pattern but I like the challenge in making something more 'mine'



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I love the title ! Mitten analysis

Araignee said...

It is still a very pretty mitten-even if it is being naughty. I marvel at folks who can design colorwork patterns. Every time I try to make even the slightest adjustment it's a disaster.