Saturday 27 June 2020

Tour de Fleece, day 1

Hi,

The first day of TDF, I had plans to spend the whole day spinning as hubby was due to be out on his motorbike all day. Unfortunately , the Great British Summer Weather put paid to that as its been raining on and off most of the day. So its been a lazy day, catching up on some YouTube together and as it's about teatime I don't think I will be spinning anymore today.

Todays spin has been Balwen/Texel, this years fleece, bought at the farm gate (unseen by me) certainly not the softest but washed up nicely apart from pesky short dark fibres dotted around. I have previously spun about 250gm of this fleece which I have dyed but It really didn't take the dye as well as I hoped.


fibre once carded


This morning it was the turn of the e-spinner, quicker, easier on my legs and bigger bobbins. I generally aim for 60g per bobbin so I have finished skeins of 115-120g. If I sell the skein then its comfortably more than the 100g people look for as I think that when you see a skein at 95ish it creates a bit of doubt even when the length is listed. Maybe I'm wrong? but I've had similar feedback from others.


Here we are, approx.

180g of singles, not a bad start for 2020 TDF

1 comment:

Araignee said...

Great progress for day one!
I'm waiting this year until (and if) the real Tour goes on because I can't spin for more than a few minutes unless I have something interesting to watch on TV and golf just isn't going it for me...lol.