Monday 23 March 2009

FibreFantastical Day

The decorators and repair men turned up at 8 this morning so I really had to stay out of their way so I made a nest in my workroom. Remember those lovely soft wool tops and the urge to relate to cave paintings in my previous posts? well today I got chance to sit and work at the embellisher to see what would evolve. I must admit that I don't always start with a design, often the fabric or fibres will speak out.

Chris Gray kindly sent me details of rock carving that she had come across her travels and armed with ideas from these, I plucked out some fibre and went for it.

The base fabric on both of these cylinders, containers, pots or whatever they are, is acrylic felt with wool tops and wool nepps embellisher on top. They are stitched together with yarn spun from the same fibres.

cave painting project

cave painting project

the next one is an experiment on line drawing ie just one needle in the embellisher and worked from the reverse ( the black acrylic felt)

cave painting project

cave painting project

cave painting project/

10 comments:

Ruth said...

The second one with the black line drawings is fantastic. Really catches the feel of cave paintings. Wonderful work!

Threadspider said...

What an interesting take on cave paintings-the softness of the felt/wool depicts the rock walls brilliantly.

murgelchen said...

Wonderful, wonderful work, all.
LG,
Helga

Wanda said...

I love your ideas! Not only do you have the ideas..you make them reality. Great stuff

Digitalgran said...

Wow and wow again Sue. i love it.

Corryna said...

They are lovely!

Maggi said...

The bowls are really effective and I love the spinning on the previous post, such a gorgeous green.

Chrissie said...

I specially love the embellished nepps Sue

Unknown said...

I love these, especially the second one. So sorry you are still without heat! I would NOT do well with that.

hippopip said...

I love these ,your embellishing always gives me the urge to get mine out.Thanks