Monday 27 March 2023

Why Jacob?

 I mentioned in my previous fibre based post that I was currently spinning Jacob Fleece, so why Jacob?




It's easy to spin

I can divide up the colours and blend more natural shades for my knitting

You can spin a decent gradient yarn as well.

As I will be spinning in public a lot over the next few weeks, it makes sense to concentrate on one breed as its easier to answer the questions et.

I can easily over dye the yarn ( especially the white)

Its good for hats, mitts etc

I now have around 6/700gm combed pedigree Jacob which I will blend and bag up in 60gm bags ( I like my skeins to be a minimum of 100 gm and always seem to end up discarding small bits as I spin.) and 4 skeins ready to knit.


There is a definite difference between the skeins spun from the pedigree Jacob compared to the washed fleece picked up at the guild, the pedigree fleece is softer.

I also ordered a fleece from Doreen in Aberdeen, I love her fleeces as they are always well skirted, clean and come packed in their own cotton bag.





The latest is now on the line , taking advantage of a windy sunny day even if it is a little cool.

I will pack my e-spinner bag with a book on spinning wheels to show where you could prick your finger on the great wheel etc, a picture of a Jacob sheep and probably my British Breeds T-towel.

edited 

First two skeins from the Jacob from Aberdeen.


I now have possibly enough fibre to spin and yarn to knit on my travels.

1 comment:

Araignee said...

I love Jacob. It's beautiful on its own but it also takes color well. I've had Jacobs that were as soft as Merino but this last one I washed-which came from a prize winner, believe it or not, was useless. So dry and scratchy. I paid a fortune for it too. I knit a vest from it that was unwearable. It was gorgeous but torture to put on. I turned it into a cat blanket. An expensive cat blanket.