Wednesday 30 June 2021

TDF day four, odd and ends

 First job this morning was to ply the texel, then weigh it. Now do you remember my saying that I generally spin 60gm to a bobbins so that I definitely got over 100gm in a skein ? well, it doesn't work when you miscount. Over 10gm left on one bobbin and a measly 104 gm skein πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



My only challenge this year is to spin down the stash, not only the fresh fleece from this year but the ones that have been lurking in my workroom. I found a couple of pillow cases last week that had less than 100gm fleece in them but as it was a nice fleece I had hung onto them.


This is around 80gm of black welsh mountain x lleyn, a little darker than in the photo. I spun most of this one maybe two years ago and it was deliciously smooshy once spun.


This is more like the true colour, 74gm which will sit in my stash for a while apart from when I take it out to pet it.



This is some of 60odd gm of Shetland x Romney and I do think that I have some more somewhere however it will be enough for fingerless mitts. One bobbin's spun and the next ready to spin tomorrow morning.

Update on the power bank.

The level reached 50% last night and 15 min into my plying this morning I could notice a slowing down of the wheel. I've recharged it and will try again next week. I'm happy that it will last me for an afternoon spinning and chat which is what I was after.

And now for something different.

Last week I had arranged to meet some people for coffee and since I arrived a little early I had a quick look round the sensory garden on Carlton hill. This garden has been designed for the visually impaired, highly scented plants and the labels and information board have been produced in braille.







I thought that the bee was in mid flight when I looked at this, which I was happy with as I'd been stood there waiting for one to turn up, then I had a closer look.


he's actually balancing on the leaf/petal 😁

1 comment:

Araignee said...

It is definitely a skill to know how much is on a bobbin. I rarely get it right. All your work looks lovely. I only have room for one wheel at the moment so I am just working with commercial fiber since the weather is so terrible. I can't get outside to card anything. I am itching to get my hands on my new Corriedale but it will have to wait until fall when the mosquitoes die down. I have to say I liked last year's Tour timeline better. It's horribly hot and muggy here in July for wool work.
I have never heard of a sensory garden. What a lovely idea.