Tuesday 29 June 2021

The thick and thin of it .. TDF day 3

 So, on we go to day three.

60 gm Jacob spun and then plied with yesterdays bobbin.



When I'm spinning, odd bits get discarded due to nepps, tangles caused by the odd bit of straw etc so the original 60gm of fibre always ends up weighing somewhat less. This skein weighs in at 109gm unwashed.


please excuse the bare feet !! I hadn't realised that they were in the photo. This yarn unwashed is 8WPi although after a good bath it will probably be more like 7 WPI so aran/bulky weight. I always measure the length when washed so will probably publish the end results once TDF finishes.

Next I spun another bobbin of texel white with a view to plying it tomorrow, this one looks like it will be about 17 wpi before washing, maybe a bit more like fingering weight once washed which is good news as it will be going into my fair isle knitting stash.



The unusual thing about today is that I can tell you how long I have spent spinning. I usually use the e-spinner at home or in the van running on mains/campsite electric but I would like to be able to take it out more so I bought a small power bank off eBay and I'm trying it out.

Today I have spun for 3hours and 50 min, obviously the fine spinning takes longer than the chunky, and the power bank is down to 50%. I'm going to use it ply the yarn tomorrow and see how it goes. Once I'm happy that it charges fully without a problem I will include more details about it. To be honest, I can't see me using it for more than an hour or two if I'm out which makes the price tag of £29.99 very reasonable.

As for now, I may have to settle down to a new cross stitch pattern having left my usual project it the van,.

More fibre stuff tomorrow plus maybe some pics of a quick trip out last week.





1 comment:

Araignee said...

Lovely work! I discovered that my spinning muscles are not in very good shape. I used to spin along with the Tour every morning from start to finish but my shoulders are not agreeing with me this year.