Monday, 24 August 2026

Glimpses of Warwick

 We last visited Warwick nearly five years ago and, if you read the post , you will realise that it it was not the most exciting weekend away. However we had agreed to return and explore properly in better weather and a better mood.

you can just see the race course top left of this picture

Home for a few nights was again Warwick race course but instead of being parked up alongside the railings we had a proper pitch complete with very dry grass ( drought conditions) and a very welcome area of shade.





In fact it proved to be so hot on our initial walk round the town that I returned later, once it had cooled down a bit, to have a real nosy around.


How's this for a boot scraper, such a shame that the matching one on the other side had been recently broken.
Warwick, like many other places is well known for its historic building which are scattered around the town. I did take photos on my last visit and I've tried not to duplicate too many of them here.







As I am usually more interested in the detail than the whole, this is what the uncovered timbers look like.


The brick and tie work on more recent building was equally interesting, these examples are from the late 1800's



The other plaque on this building said COFFEE so I may have felt at home !!


and this was on the local school building





Both of the gates make for interesting framed pictures




1 comment:

Araignee said...

So much history on display. As soon as something gets old over here we knock it down.
I've been watching the Vuelta this week and sorry to see that the hot weather is still very much a factor. They had to cancel the race this morning due to hail on the top of a climb which I am hoping is a sign that cooler weather will soon prevail in Europe and over here. It's been one miserable summer.